Friday, September 18, 2009

Vacation - Day 7

I just can't believe it's already FRIDAY. Holy cow. This week has just zipped by, and of course I've not done half the things I'd hoped to do this week. Oh well.

My last blog entry was early Tuesday morning, so I'll catch you up on the "exciting" things I've done since then. *LOL*

  • had blood drawn for diagnostics for my PCP, who I see next Friday
  • dropped by K-Mart to see if I could find some linseed oil for wicker repair - wasted trip. Our local K-Mart is so poorly stocked these days that if you have 3 items on your shopping list, you're lucky to find ONE of them.
  • had some time to kill before my next diagnostic, so I decided to drop in on a local yarn shop (the only one in my hometown) that I'd been meaning to check on. The owner was very sweet. Her stock was down a bit because of setting up a booth for a local music festival this weekend, but I still managed to find some things to buy. (Imagine that....*LOL*) I assured her I'd be back.
  • had my dexa scan run. This is a non-invasive procedure and would have been completely painless, except it required me to lay on my back. This of course makes my leg hurt. Sure stirred up my pain level. Ick.
  • went to Lowe's and found linseed oil. Should have come here in the first place. *makes face in general direction of K-Mart.
  • went to Mom & Dad's and looked over the wicker furniture that Daddy had pressure-washed for me. I was amazed at how much of the flaky white paint had come off. Upon examination, I decided the rocker would be more work that it was worth to try to save. I rubbed linseed oil into the chair, but decided it wasn't helping enough to bother with rubbing it into the table. I did some "patch and repair" work on the chair and table and consulted with Daddy on what type of paint to buy to finish them.
  • went home, ate supper, took meds and collapsed.


  • took the car to Wal-Mart for oil change and service. There was a two hour wait, so I shopped for awhile. This, unfortunately, nearly crippled me. After I checked out, I limped back to the Tire & Lube area and knitted until they'd finished.
  • went to a nearby I-Hop and passed a new milestone: I ordered my first "senior special" for lunch. *ROTF* This accomplished three things: 1) made me reflect on the fact that being 55 isn't all bad; 2) gave me a chance to take my pain meds and let them kick in; and 3) allowed me to enjoy some of the best pot roast I've ever eaten ANYwhere. At an I-Hop! Who knew?
  • dropped by Food City to pick up some ginger gold apples they had on sale. These are my all-time favorite apples, but are usually very pricey. What a treat!
  • came home and put things away, then fell into the recliner.
  • later in the afternoon, I took the paint I'd purchased at Wal-Mart down to Mom & Dad's. Daddy painted the chair while I painted the table. He'd advised me to buy 4 spray cans, but I should have bought 6. *sigh* Luckily, after we'd run out of the white paint, he remembered that he had 2 cans of ivory in his shop. This was enough to finish the furniture and gave it a lovely "old wicker" look. It's still a little fuzzy and doesn't look like new by any stretch of the imagination, but it'll do fine for another year or two. When it gets bad the next time, I'm going to put it in the dumpster. I'll never again have any furniture on my deck that I can't fold up and put in a closet for the winter!! I have to admit that I'm looking forward to getting it home, though. I love sitting on my deck this time of year.


  • housework
  • laundry
  • more housework
  • more laundry
  • repeat until bushed....*LOL*
  • I did manage to spend some time yesterday afternoon out on the deck with MeggieDog winding some skeins of yarn into lovely center-pull balls. My friend Beth had found this yarn at a yard sale at an insanely good price. (Thanks, Beth!) As a bonus, there were two crochet hooks tucked into the yarn. Now I just have to find something fun to make with it. And keep myself from starting on it until I finish the projects I've already started. *G*


  • it's not quite 7:00 am, so I've not done anything yet other than make a pot of coffee. That's going to change as soon as I close up this post, though. *LOL*
  • Mom invited me to come down for lunch today....a new Mexican lasagna recipe that sounds just wonderful!

I still can't believe it's Friday already. *sigh*

No comments: