Sunday, December 20, 2009

'Twas the Week Before Christmas....

....and we got SNOW! LOTS of it! The official measurement for our area was 7 to 8", but when I brushed off my car yesterday afternoon, there was a total of 10" on top of the car roof.

Needless to say, it really wreaked havoc on the area. Several unfortunate folks were without power (and some actually still ARE), but I've been lucky.

It started Friday afternoon. I've been working 6-hour days, 7:00 am - 1:00 pm, and by the time I left work, there was a heavy mix of sleet and snow falling. About 4 miles south of the office, it changed to rain mixed with snow (BIG flakes). Soon after I got home, it changed to all snow and really started accumulating quickly.

I was very grateful that I had plenty of food in the apartment and didn't have to stop on the way home for anything. By Saturday morning, heavy wet snow weighed everything down. Roads were impassable, and I was happy that I didn't have to go anywhere. My car was buried, as you can see in this photo:

I went out yesterday afternoon with a broom and pushed the snow off it, but don't know if there will be enough melting action today that I'll be going to work tomorrow or not. I actually planned to work my 6-hour days Monday and Tuesday before taking off for the holidays, but now I'll just have to wait to see what the morning brings.

Right now as I look out, the snow is still laying heavy on everything. Tree branches are drooping low to the ground, and cars that weren't moved or swept yesterday are lumps of white. Even the cars that WERE moved yesterday have a fresh new coat (but much smaller coat) of snow.

Though I'm very sympathetic of all the folks who must try to be out navigating treacherous roads in this weather, I have to say that it is just beautiful. For the first time, it actually FEELS like Christmas season, looking out my window at a living Christmas card scene.

And now I see that new light precipitation has begun to fall, as it was predicted to do occasionally today. I feel the need to get into the recliner with the pair of socks I'm knitting, turn on the Christmas cooking shows on Food Network, and sip hot cocoa while watching it snow.

Boy, it just doesn't get much better than this, does it? Happy Holidays, everyone!

No comments: