Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The Fruitcake Fallacy

Every year around this time you begin to hear people making remarks about fruitcake.  You've heard 'em.  Everyone hates fruitcake.  Fruitcake is the worst gift you can ever receive.  My favorite story is that there's really only one fruitcake in the world and that it keeps getting regifted from one person to another year after year.

I'll state it loud and clear:  It's not true.  Not everyone hates fruitcake.  I LOVE it.  Well, let me qualify that a bit; I love GOOD fruitcake.  And yes, there are some really great fruitcakes out there.  Admittedly, there are some bad ones, but some are truly delicious.

My favorite fruitcakes have just enough cake to hold the candied fruit together.  And they must have LOTS of candied fruit.  Even though I hold fruitcake to a pretty high standard, I never bake one.  Too much work for someone who bakes as little as I do.  I've found that Claxton fruitcake meets my requirements very well, thank you very much, and all I have to do is buy it, chill it, and eat it.  I wish the "dark" variety of their delicious fruitcake was available locally, but I never see it.  But that's okay, the "regular" variety is pretty wonderful, too.

Maybe I'll treat myself by ordering a dark fruitcake.  If no one gives me one for Christmas, I think I'll plan to do that for myself.  I've never had a day so bad that it couldn't be improved with a good cup of coffee, a slice of a good fruitcake, or a bubblebath.

Yes, I'm a woman of simple pleasures.  *LOL*

No comments: