Thursday, October 03, 2013

I Love Fall

I love fall. I love that the sky looks crisp, clean, and clear after the muggy haze of August. I love that little nip in the air in the morning that segues into a lovely warm afternoon. I love the smell of drying leaves. I love the beautiful golden glow that appears in late afternoon signalling the beginning of the end of the daylight hours.

I miss the smell of burning leaves, since no one seems to do that anymore. Or maybe it's against city ordinances? I actually don't know since I'm an apartment dweller and don't need to know such things.

I love sitting on the deck in the early evening hours after work and knitting until it's too dark to see properly. I love that a hot cup of coffee feels comforting while sitting there in the rapidly cooling air. I love knowing that soon a frost will come and hopefully help with my allergies. I love knitting mittens with the knowledge that I'll soon be able to wear them.

I love watching the trees gradually fade from their deep lush greens to the varied hues of the season. I love seeing lovely pots of mums all around town, even though I don't have any myself. (Allergic, y'know.)

I love driving home from work in the afternoon with my car window down and the air conditioning turned off, wind whipping my hair into a frenzy. I love waking up in the morning and finding that TillyCat has snuggled up against me under the covers, attempting to steal a bit of my body heat before I get out of bed.

I love that I don't need the air conditioning very often at home, but it's not quite cold enough to turn on the heat yet. I love schlepping around in flannel sleep pants and wool socks on weekend mornings to ward off the chill.

Yup. I love fall.

No comments: