Thursday, September 30, 2004

We've been just skirted by yet another hurricane (Jeanne), thank goodness. By the time they get to us, they're down to tropical depressions, and even THOSE have glanced past us. Roanoke got deluged day before yesterday. The Today Show had a video clip of Roanoke's Victory Stadium showing water up to the crossbar of the uprights in the end zone! All we got were showers and light breezes. We are truly blessed.

My glucose is coming down nicely. It's already fallen 103 points in just two weeks of being on medication. I've not gotten serious about exercise yet, because the readings are still high. Exercise should be coming along very soon, though.

I can't believe some of the things I've come across while decluttering and pricing things for Mom and Dad's yard sale. Why did I not only keep this stuff but actually boxed it up and moved it from the last apartment I rented??? Lots of excuses, no real reasons:

  1. "So and So gave that to me, so I must keep it or I'll hurt her/his feelings." She/he never comes to visit, so how will she/he know I've not kept the trinket she/he gave me for Christmas 20 years ago?
  2. "I bought that as a souvenir of my trip to (insert vacation destination here)." Do I really need an ashtray to remind me I went to Rock City in 1983? I don't even smoke!
  3. "I paid good money for this dress." It's still ugly, and it doesn't fit.
  4. "If I hang on to this outfit, it'll come back in style soon." It's still ugly, and it doesn't fit.
  5. "If the IRS audits me, I'm going to need these receipts from 1990." Not according to Suze Orman's list of how long to keep things.

I hauled SEVEN big ol' lawn and leaf bags of clothes to Goodwill the other day. And I haven't even started on the walk-in closet. That was just clothes I had in storage boxes that have never been opened since I moved into my current aparment a year and a half ago! Goodwill was really glad to get them, and boy, was I glad to get RID of them!

I have lots more decluttering to do, but I'm getting it done a few minutes at a time. My hero, FlyLady, says I can do anything for 15 minutes, and she's right. And those 15 minutes add up. If you don't know about FlyLady and suffer, as I did, from CHAOS (Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome), visit her website at FlyLady.net. That reminds me that I need to add her website to my "Links".

Another link I need to add is The Red Hat Society. I turned the "big five-oh" last month, and my birthday gift to myself was to become a "Red Hatter".


No comments: