Tuesday, August 08, 2006

We Survived

And so the intrepid campers rack up another camping trip! This time, MeggieDog went along.


She did really well, but she was so exhausted by the end of the weekend that I felt sorry for her. Randy commented that he thinks she must sleep all day while I'm at work, then goes to bed when I do and sleeps all night. I'm sure he's right.

The only really bad thing that happened this trip is that on Friday night (actually Saturday morning), Randy became violently nauseous at 1:00 a.m. I was terrified the first time it happened, because I was afraid he had cellulitis again. He wasn't running a fever, however, and seemed to feel fine when he got up Saturday morning. He ate well and felt fine all day, then the same thing happened again at 1:00 a.m. Saturday night (Sunday morning). Weird.

He felt better each time once he sat up, and became really ill again when he laid down again. Friday night he slept the rest of the night in a chair under the screen tent; Satuday night he slept the rest of the night in the car. We've come up with two possible reasons for his nausea:
  1. His sinuses were really bad; it's possible he had a touch of inner ear trouble which caused his nausea when he laid down.
  2. Last trip we had one inflatable mattress. The only problem was that it was difficult to get up and down from it. So, I bought another mattress and stacked them. It worked well, and was really comfortable to sleep on, but it felt a bit like a waterbed. Maybe the combination of sinus trouble and added motion in the mattresses caused him to have motion sickness. Next trip, I'm only going to inflate one mattress and see if that makes a difference.
Because I lost sleep two nights in a row I woke up Sunday morning with a raging headache. Even though I felt just awful, I had to cook breakfast (note to self: take some honey buns next trip so Randy can have a quick breakfast if I wake up too sick to cook), break camp, and pack the car. Randy helped break camp as much as he could, but I had to pack the car. It's really tight getting everything in my little Saturn, and everything has to go in just so or it won't fit. I've had better mornings!

Except for Randy's nausea and my headache, though, everything went great. The weather was wonderfully dry and cool (just one brief shower just after we'd set up camp Friday), and we really liked our campsite. We were able to have a campfire both evenings. Meg didn't like the campfire at all; but, then again, she doesn't like it when I have a fire in the fireplace at home, either.



Our next trip will be August 17 - 20. To celebrate my birthday, we're going to Natural Tunnel State Park. I hope we like their campground as much as we've enjoyed Grindstone. I've reserved us a spot on a hayride on the evening of the 19th, which should be fun.

I've already made reservations to go to Grindstone again in September for a weekend while Mom and Dad are camping there. If it's not too cool then, I might take Meg back again on that trip.

No comments: