Thursday, August 27, 2009

Jasper

This cutie showed up at Mom and Dad's house last week and adopted them. The only bad thing was that Mom and Dad were getting ready to leave on a week-long camping trip. I volunteered to come take care of the little guy while they were gone.

So, Daddy made him a bed in his storage building, gave him a bowl for food and a plastic bucket for water, and I went down each evening after work to let him out to play for awhile and made sure he had everything he needed.

So, the pup needed a name. Mom suggested "Trouble" because that's what he causes. *LOL* Daddy said that was too hard to yell if you need to get his attention. He suggested something short, like "Bob" or "Rex". When Mom told me this, I remarked, "He looks like a 'Jasper' to me." And so, he's been Jasper ever since.

Everything went well until Monday afternoon; when I arrived, a teenager who lives next door came through her yard with Jasper hopping along beside her! HE'D TUNNELED OUT OF THE STORAGE BUILDING!! It was hard to be stern with him, because he was so very proud of the beautiful tunnel he'd dug. I called Daddy, and he said to just move Jasper into the garage, which has a concrete floor. Even Jasper can't dig out of there. *LOL*

Everything's gone well since then. He's a really bright dog; yesterday for the first time I held up a small treat and said "Sit". And he SAT. No hesitation whatsover. He also knows "Down". If you say that and point to the ground, he lays on his tummy and stretches his front legs out in front of him. Really sharp.

It seems that someone just set him out....I've never been able to understand how anyone can do that. People never cease to amaze me.

But at least Jasper happened to find himself a good home.

No comments: