Friday, May 07, 2010

It's Just Not Gonna Be The Same

Back in August 2005, our local Krispy Kreme doughnut shop closed. I have to be honest about this, it wasn't as devastating to me as it was to a lot of people in our town. I'd had to give up Krispy Kremes some time ago because I'm a Type II diabetic.

But even though I hadn't eaten a Krispy Kreme in a long time, I missed the shop. I had to drive by it each day on my way home from work, and the smell was just wonderful. A real treat was to happen to be driving by when their "Hot Doughnuts Now" sign was lit. The sweet aroma of sugar glazed yeast doughnuts hung in the air. I'd swear I could gain 5 pounds by simply inhaling.

And so, the building stood empty for nearly five years. It looked sad sitting there, with its parking lot looking grubbier each day.

Then the announcement was made on a local newscast: the property is going to be used for a Kroger Fuel Center. Oh good. Just what we needed on an already ridiculously busy street corner. A gas station. Sheesh.

Something tells me that the aroma from that location just isn't going to be the same. *sigh*

1 comment:

Bejeweled Barbie said...

Now you did it...I can smell it...I know I can...one time in college, they sold them in the dorms....I went in with a friend...she ate one....I ate....you guessed it.