Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Two Sundays in a Row

Sunday morning, I needed to put some new drawer pulls on an old chest of drawers at Randy's place. I'd bought wooden pulls at Lowe's that came with screws that were wayyyyyyyyyy too long, so I'd brought some shorter wood screws out of my toolbox. They were just a smidge too long; I told Randy that instead of buying more screws, we should get a small package of metal washers. A washer or two on the inside of the drawer would make the screws I had work like a charm.

There's a super Wal-Mart just about 2-1/2 miles from his place, so off we went. As I turned a corner in the hardware section, I nearly ran over my ex-husband and his brother. TWO SUNDAY MORNINGS IN A ROW I'VE BUMPED INTO HIM.

He apparently didn't recognize me, and I just walked past. I was about halfway down the aisle when I thought, "Oh, for crying out loud, this is nuts. We both live in Bristol, and I'm going to be running into him like this from time to time. And two Sunday mornings in a row has GOT to be some kind of a SIGN."

So, I turned around, said, "Come here a minute Randy" and went back. I extended my hand, smiled, and said, "Pardon me, but I think we used to be married." My ex looked up, surprised, shook my hand and said, "Well, yeah, I think maybe we WERE."

I made introductions, and we talked for several minutes, quite civilly. He asked about our daughter, Kris, and I filled him in. (Aside to Kris: I forgot to tell you in my e-mail, but your Uncle Don would like to hear from you.) All in all a fairly painless encounter, and now I don't have to duck if I hear him come in Shoney's or step around a corner in Wal-Mart. Life's too short to make it more complicated than it has to be.

Something I meant to put on here earlier, and just haven't taken the time: I made a cake for Christmas Eve that everyone went nuts over and it was sooooooooo simple. It reminds me a lot of a chess bar. It's not something I'd make very often because:
  1. It's really, really rich, and
  2. I rarely bake anything any more.

But, if you need to make something simple that tastes like you spent a lot of time on it, here's the recipe. I found it on FlyLady's website (link on the right), so all credit goes to her!

Died and Gone to Heaven Cake

For the bottom:

  • 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter or margarine, melted
  • 1 egg
  • 1 yellow cake mix (extra moist works best)

Combine ingredients and press into a 9" x 13" cake pan (FlyLady suggested using a large sheet of waxed paper to press it into the pan, and it works like a charm).

For the top:

  • 1 8-oz. package of cream cheese, softened
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 16-oz. box of powdered sugar

Mix together and pour over the cake mix mixture. Bake at 350 degrees until the top is golden brown. Let cool before serving.

I've not tried it, but FlyLady says it's also good with chocolate chips mixed into the top mixture, and that she knows someone who uses the same recipe with chocolate cake mix instead. *drool*

No comments: