Thursday, June 01, 2006

The Joy of Crowds of People

When I woke up Monday morning (no work, Memorial Day!), I had a bad sore throat. I honestly didn't think a whole lot about it, because during Irene's visitations and funeral I'd been exposed to hundreds of different colognes, after shaves, and flowers. I have allergies to many items in all three of those categories, so I figured the sore throat was just an aftereffect of an allergic reaction.

My throat was still really sore Tuesday, but I went back to work. I felt worse and worse as the day wore on. After work, I went to see a doctor at the Urgent Care center. They did a strep culture and found that I didn't (thankfully) have strep throat. I really didn't think I did, because I wasn't running a fever, and I always run a fever with strep. The doctor took one look at my throat and said, "Well, it's not strep, but it's definitely an infection. Have you been exposed to anything in the past couple of days?" I told him I'd just been through a funeral over the weekend and had probably been exposed to a couple of hundred of people who could have had ANYthing.

So, he gave me a sackful of antibiotics to take for 8 days. Yesterday (Wednesday) I just felt terrible, so I stayed home from work. I could barely swallow at all. Gargling warm salt water helped more than anything I tried. (Love those old home remedies!)

This morning, I felt much better, so I trudged off to the office. Thankfully, I feel better as the day wears on. I might even try "real food" for supper. Glucerna has kept me going for the last few days. It's not a "steak and Lowenbrau" (as Randy's always saying), but it's nutrition, at least. :-)

No comments: