Saturday, December 18, 2010

An Unusual Week

It's been a strange week....I was expecting it to be a very busy week, but I certainly wasn't expecting the kind of weather we had! The college was closed for snow on Monday and Tuesday, then we went in on a snow schedule Wednesday. On Wednesday night we got snow followed by freezing rain, so the college was closed again on Thursday.

Because I'm scheduled to be out of the office Monday and Tuesday next week for Mom's surgery, I waited for the temperature to warm up a bit Thursday morning, then made my way to the office. It was a fairly terrifying commute, to tell the truth. Even though traffic was moving on the interstate, there was ice everywhere! I saw one accident on the way to the office; it appeared that a young lady had lost control on a bridge and swapped ends, hitting the concrete barrier. The state police had just arrived when I came by, and the young lady appeared shaken but not injured, thank goodness.

When I arrived at the office the parking lots and sidewalks hadn't been cleared, so it was a treacherous walk from the car to the building. Luckily I made it without falling (my greatest fear!), and I had a very productive afternoon. I can always get a lot more done when the phone isn't ringing and no one's dropping in with questions.

Yesterday we were open again on a snow schedule. There was still some ice on the streets, but it was much better than Thursday. I woke up with a migraine yesterday morning and was grateful that I had a couple of extra hours for the migraine medication to kick in before I had to go to the office. To be honest I wouldn't have gone to the office if I hadn't been scheduled to be off so much next week. But there was still lots to do, so away I went. Luckily, the meds dulled the headache and I was able to get through the day fairly easily. It was a really busy day, though, and I was very tired when I got home.

I expected to go to bed early, but couldn't settle down. It was after midnight before I could get to sleep, so I'm a bit draggy today. I've got to get up and at it, though. Lots of things to do today.

Mom received her surgical schedule yesterday; she has to be at the hospital at 5:15 a.m. Monday. Even though I'm sorry she'll have to get up so early, I'm glad it's scheduled early that morning so she won't have to be waiting a long time. She's still remarkably calm about it all, just anxious to get it over and done with.

Well, I'd better get up from here and get some things done. Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

No comments: