Sunday, December 31, 2006

Goodbye 2006


Farewell 2006! I took this photo from my deck a few minutes ago. As you can see, it's a rainy New Year's Eve here, but quite warm. The temperature is currently 55 and comfortable. The two bright streaks you see in the parking lot are caused by a vehicle which came through just as I was taking the photo. (I was using a long exposure to get as much light as I could.) Near the left of the photo you can see (between the two buildings) that some of the folks in the neighborhood still have their Christmas lights up.

I took mine down the day after Christmas (which I usually try to do). I've had a busy week, but it's been just wonderful. I've managed to get some closets straightened a bit and do some reorganizing. I've been awake early each morning (usually by 5:30), but have enjoyed the luxury of lazing in bed and watching movies and reading until the hour is decent to start making a bit of noise doing household drudgery. (My attempt at being kind to my neighbors...*G*)

Mom and I went to visit Aunt Orph (actually Daddy's aunt) for a little while Friday. She's 96 now, and it's just a joy to spend time with her. She was crocheting when we arrived. Not only does she enjoy crocheting, she's really wonderful at it. She can just look at a piece of crocheted work and know immediately how to duplicate it. It just amazes me.....I can barely crochet an afghan with a PATTERN.

Today I cooked a pot of black eyed peas (have to have some tomorrow for luck). I had some walnuts left over from holiday cooking, so I made spiced nuts with those. I'll post the recipe at the end of this post. Now the apartment smells like cinnamon and cloves. *YUM*

Tonight Mom and Dad have gone to a New Year's Eve get-together that Daddy's cousin is having. I was invited, but I've never liked to be out on New Year's Eve. There are so many people out driving with perhaps one too many celebratory drinks in their system. I just feel safer being home.

I usually feel a pang of nostalgia seeing the old year out. Oddly enough, this year I feel only a sense of anticipation for a great 2007.

Happy New Year, all!!

Recipe for Glazed Nuts:

1 egg white
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 pound walnut halves (use walnuts, pecans, almonds or a mix)

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, beat egg white until foamy. Stir in brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and vanilla. Add nuts, and stir to coat. Spread evenly onto prepared pan.
3. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until well toasted and golden brown. Remove from oven, and cool completely. Store in an airtight container.

No comments: