Friday, April 16, 2010

A Practically Perfect Evening

Yesterday evening was really great. I'd worked yesterday and was a little tired, but not exhausted. I wasn't particularly hungry, so a cheese sandwich and Diet Coke was fine for supper. No dishes to wash. No household chores that couldn't wait another day.

So after checking in with Mom by phone and then making another call to deal with some items on a website for which I do a little volunteer work, my evening was mine to do with as I pleased.

I had some well-worn wicker furniture out on my balcony, and it was time to get rid of it. So, off it went to the dumpster. I resolved some time ago that since I don't have storage space for my porch furniture, I will not buy anything that can't be folded up and stored in a closet!

I pulled my Coleman chair out of its hiding place and carried it to the porch. It has a little attached side table with a drink holder, so I didn't need to pull out a table. I gathered up the cordless phone and the socks I'm currently knitting and settled in for a relaxing session of sticks and string in the warm spring evening.

Several of the residents of my apartment complex were enjoying the lovely weather. Some were walking, some were out on their little balconies talking quietly and watching the world go by.

I had a little pang of nostalgia, remembering how much MeggieDog enjoyed being "on patrol", sticking her head out from the railing around my second-story balcony and keeping tabs on what everyone was doing in HER parking lot. She'd have had a lot of things to watch last night.

I sat there in the comforting warmth of the waning light, knitting happily until it became too dark to read the pattern comfortably. I resisted going in for as long as I possibly could.

A practically perfect evening.

No comments: